A rare antique watch movement in a new, custom-made white gold case. This device combines the functions of the Grande Sonnerie Carillon Supersonnerie and the integrated minute repeater. Designed by the Swiss company Cesar Racine (address: 2 avenue du Nouveau-College, Le Locle, Switzerland), who run a small studio that creates super-highly complex movements for Swiss watch brands. This type of caliber has been used by the most famous watchmaking companies, such as Zenith, Audemars Freres, and others. Initially, the movement was housed in a gold pocket watch case, however this case went to a pawnshop many years ago. This valuable movement now has its own custom-made case made of white gold; the gallery includes photos of the case production process.
The Grande Sonnerie Carillon Supersonerie is one of the most prestigious watch complications. The watch automatically strikes the time every 15 minutes, like the Kremlin Chimes. At the numeral 6 position there is a button that activates the striker in the same way as a minute repeater, on the sidewall there is a small muter slider for night-time mode. The size of the movement is a special rarity, it is significantly smaller than the usual 45 – 46 mm, and even when inside the case, along with three gongs, the diameter of the watch is just 45.7 mm.
The movement has two barrels, one for running and one for striking, and is wound by the crown in two directions: clockwise by the combat spring, counterclockwise by the strike spring. The repeater is implemented by three hammers on three gongs, and the melodic chime it produces is usually called a Carillon. A clever system of combs and springs ensures that the repeater is mounted under the dial. You can watch a video of the entire complex system, here.
This watch is exhibited via the terms of the Market. It is possible to communicate with the owner of the watch directly regarding an inspection, and a discussion of the price and terms of purchase. Any checks and examinations are at the expense of the buyer.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly in our Bristol workshop. Make sure to follow the usage and care guidelines.
Body: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (9/10 near perfect)
Watch face: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (9/10 near perfect)
Mechanism: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (9/10 near perfect)
Accuracy: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (9/10 near perfect)
- New, custom-made case in Audemars Piguet style – complex toroidal shape with rounded lugs.
- White gold.
- Convex natural mineral crystal.
- Crystal caseback for viewing the movement.
- Large, white gold crown with oblique notch.
- Width w/o crown 45.7 mm.
- Width w/ crown 51 mm.
- Height (with lugs) 51.5 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original, white enamel dial (some small cracks around small seconds subdial).
- Thick, black Roman numerals.
- No signature on dial.
- Small seconds subdial with Arabic numerals at numeral 6 position.
- Blued steel ‘Breguet’ style hour and minute hands.
- Small blued seconds hand with tail.
- Swiss-made movement.
- Double-barrel anchor escapement.
- 25 jewels.
- Bimetallic thermocompensated balance with adjustment screws.
- Breguet hairspring.
- Minute and quarter-striking mechanics of the Grande Sonnerie located under the dial.
- Three hammers and gongs displayed at the back side.
- Gilt plates and bridges.
- Radiation treatment of wheels with mirror chamfers.
- Polished screws.
To watch a video of the repeater with sound, Click Here.
(IMPORTANT!) In a watch with the striking/repeater function, only move the hands forward.
Before setting the hands, it is better to disable the striking function, so as not to activate the repeater mechanism unnecessarily.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced with disassembly in our Bristol shop.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- Vintage Watch Care Guidelines.