The ‘Visiting Watch’ concept – When a guest would go to visit someone, they would take off their watch and place it on the side table; with this transverse design it shows off the watch – and the time – very well. This was an orphaned vintage pocket watch movement with an original enamel dial and hands, overall in great condition. The original gold case was scrapped for gold many years ago, so it was my duty to rehouse the movement into another case.
This elegant Patek Phillipe conversion watch is a stunning example of a timepiece that has battled through the winds of time, emerging with a new, custom-made stainless steel case and looking almost like new. The hot enamel dial is completely original, in near perfect condition, with beautiful Arabic numerals and an elegant seconds subdial. The subtle reds of the hour and seconds markers on the dial create an eye-catching aesthetic, while the solid gold ‘Louis XIV’ style hour, minute and small seconds hands really give the whole watch a very high-class air. Finally, one is able to view the function of the mechanism through the glass caseback.
About the Brand
Patek Philippe SA is a Swiss luxury watch and clock manufacturer, founded in Geneva in 1839 by the businessman and aristocrat Antoine Norbert count de Patek and the watchmaker Francois Czapek.
They are one of the oldest watch manufacturers in the world with an uninterrupted watchmaking history since their foundation, and are widely considered to be one of the most prestigious watch manufacturers in the world. Over the years, notable figures including Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth II, Marie Curie, Albert Einstein, John F. Kennedy, Nelson Mandela, Pablo Picasso all wore Patek Philippe timepieces.
Since the 2000’s, Patek Philippe timepieces have repeatedly fetched high prices in auctions worldwide. On 8 November 2001 the Patek Philippe Museum opens in Geneva, documenting the development of the watchmaking art from the 16th Century to the present day by numerous valuable exhibits. As of 2018, among the world’s top ten most expensive watches ever sold at auctions, seven are Patek Philippe watches. Currently, the company is an active member of the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry FH.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly in our Bristol workshop. There is a 12-month warranty on the accurate functioning of the mechanism, as long as usage and care guidelines are followed correctly. Comes with a genuine hypoallergenic classical black leather 22mm strap.
Case and Strap
- New, custom-made classical style circular case.
- Solid stainless steel 316L.
- Front slightly convex mineral crystal.
- Screw-down mineral crystal display caseback.
- Gilt onion shaped crown.
- Not water-resistant.
- Diameter w/o crown 43 mm.
- Strap width 22 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original white hot enamel dial.
- Stylised, cursive style black Arabic numerals.
- Red hour numerals around outer edge 5-60.
- “Patek Phillipe & Cie Geneve” signature.
- Marked ‘PP&CIE’ on the back.
- Fancy seconds subdial.
- Solid gold ‘Louis XIV’ style hands.
- Swiss-made movement.
- Patek calibre.
- Gilt plates and bridges.
- Polished screws.
- Testing time: 15+ days, winding every day at 12am.
- Running duration: More than 35 hours.
- Day error (static/dynamic): Less than 20 seconds/day.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced with disassembly in our Bristol shop.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- 22mm genuine hypoallergenic black leather strap.
- 12-month warranty.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.
Links and Resources: