This movement was originally produced in the 1890’s as a gold gentleman’s pocket watch. The movement class is very high grade (20 jewels). It features an advanced low-noise governor, hammers with top jewels, and a compensated balance with Breguet overcoil under an unusual double-feet balance bridge. The repeater function strikes the hours and quarter-hours with two hammers on two gongs – this spectacularly complicated movement can be viewed through the crystal display caseback.
About Le Phare
LE PHARE (“Lighthouse” – fr.) was the first Swiss company to make repeating movements with interchangeable parts. The company had developed mass-produced repeating movements and distributed these to many casing companies in Switzerland, as the Le Phare repeater system was always by far the most robust and reliable. Repeating movements were quarter and minute types, which also differed by finishing grade (15-20 jewels).
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly in our Bristol workshop. Please make sure to follow the usage and care guidelines.
Case and Strap
- New, custom-made ‘antique’ style circular case with olive lugs.
- Solid stainless steel 316L.
- Mineral crystal.
- Mineral crystal display caseback.
- Large, silver-tone antique style crown.
- Hand-made, aged vintage-military style genuine leather strap.
- Width w/o crown 48 mm.
- Strap width 22 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original, white classic hot enamel dial.
- Thin, black Roman numerals.
- Detailed small seconds subdial with over numeral 6 position.
- Blued steel ‘spade’ style hour and minute hands.
- Blued steel small second hand with tail.
- In very good condition with just one small hairline near numeral 7.
- Swiss-made movement.
- Swiss lever.
- 20 jewels.
- Manual winding.
- Signed “Brevete [patent] number 334, English patent date 4-Apr-1889, US date 29-Jul-1890”.
- Serial number 22455 under dial.
- Power reserve more than 32 hours.
- Nickel plates and bridges with ‘Cote-de-Geneve’ finish.
- Polished wheels and screws.
- Testing duration: 20+ days, winding every day at 12am.
- Average timekeeping range: less than 30-40 sec/day.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced with disassembly in our Bristol shop.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.
Push top button on 12 position to activate repeating function. Movement will strike hours number with lower tone and then strike full quarters number with double tone. The sound is fine, we spent many hours to adjust it perfectly.
Only move the hands forward. Do not move the hands when the repeater is active.
Links and Resources: