This watch is based on the original Vacheron & Constantin movement from a pocket watch, and according to the catalogue, its serial number corresponds to 1910.
The gold case was melted down for scrap long ago, but thankfully the watchmakers kept the expensive, high-quality movement. The new steel case was made specifically for this movement, and its classical, attractive shape makes the watch a worthy and modern accessory. The antique movement can be admired through the glass caseback. There is a button for setting the hands next to the crown.
The convex shape of the enamel dial, combined with the vintage signatures in a style that dates back to the French Revolution, creates a special volume under the glass, while the dark blue ‘fleur-de-lis’ hands complement the image. Connoisseurs of numerology can also admire the beautifully shaped threes and zeros.
The integrity of the mechanics is excellent, and everything works reliably.
About Vacheron & Constantin
Vacheron Constantin SA is a Swiss luxury watch and clock manufacturer founded in 1755 by Jean-Marc Vacheron. Since 1996, it has been a subsidiary of the Swiss Richemont Group, along with other highly-regarded brands such as Jaeger-LeCoultre & Co. In addition to being the oldest Swiss manufacturer, Vacheron Constantin is also one of the oldest watch manufacturers in the world, with an uninterrupted watchmaking history since its foundation, having strongly persevered through major difficulties during both the Great Depression, and the quartz crisis of the 1970’s and 1980’s.
Vacheron Constantin are a very highly regarded watch manufacturer; the Vacheron Constantin pocket watch No. 402833 (1929), which was owned by King Fuad I of Egypt, ranks as one of the most expensive watches ever sold at auction, fetching US$2.77 million in Geneva on April 3, 2005. In 2015, Vacheron Constantin introduced the pocket watch Reference 57260, which currently holds the title of the most complicated mechanical watch ever made, with 57 horological complications.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly. There is a 6-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines. Comes with a genuine leather, snakeskin style brown strap.
Case and Strap
- New, custom-made classic style case.
- Stainless steel with double glazing.
- Mineral glass, front convex.
- Flip-down caseback, combined satin finish (matt) and polished edges.
- Onion shaped, antique style crown, without any wear.
- Button near numeral 2 for setting the hands.
- In perfect condition, the case is new and unworn.
- New high-quality genuine leather wrist strap with folding clasp.
- Diameter without crown 49 mm.
- Width with crown 54 mm.
- Height of the lugs 55 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original enamel dial without any restorations.
- Arabic numerals in antique font.
- Sweeping cursive signature “Vacheron & Constantin Geneve”.
- Dark purple, Fleur-de-Lis style hands, matching the style of the dial.
- It is rare to find enamel so well preserved, in close to perfect condition, original without restorations.
- Swiss-made movement.
- Typical high-end V&C caliber.
- 15 jewels.
- Manual winding.
- Bimetallic balance with thermocompensation and adjustment screws.
- Breguet hairspring.
- Thin anchor fork with mirror chamfers, very high-quality processing.
- Signed by VACHERON & CONSTANTIN.
- The bridge has a serial number and a Maltese cross, in very good condition.
- Gilded plates and bridges.
- Polished blued cogs.
- Average timekeeping: error within 1 minute per day.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced with disassembly in our Bristol shop.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- New, genuine leather snakeskin style brown strap.
- 6-month warranty.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.