The new, custom-made stainless steel case of this watch houses a vintage pocket watch movement from the 1870’s, due to its 41mm size this timepiece is a pleasure to wear. The movement has top quality finishing from the famous independent watch manufactory Auguste Saltzman. The elegant, classically designed dial is all original enamel, eye-catching, and a real antique. The movement is completely original and in great condition. Finally, as with most conversion watches, the glass caseback enables one to view the incredible movement in action whenever you desire. The watch ticks quietly and pleasantly, keeps great time for it’s 150-years age.
A king size for your wrist at 41mm, this conversion watch is based on a vintage pocket watch movement from the 1870’s. It has an original white enamel dial with thin Roman numerals and a tiny, elegant signature, hand-painted in cursive in hot enamel. The watch hands are an interesting design – very similar to the Breguet style of hands, yet thinner and seemingly more modern. You can see this mechanism as a blank without ruby stones and finishing treatment in this document here.
About the Brand
Auguste Saltzman was born in Les Bois in Canton of Bern on October 11, 1810, where from a young age he was sent to a watchmaker in Switzerland to become an apprentice watchmaker. In 1840 he travelled the US to open a watch and clock shop.
In 1857 Saltzman went into partnership with the designer and inventor Charles Ed. Jacot in La Chaux de Fonds, and from there they applied for a number of patents for the company ‘A. Saltzmann, Jacot & Co.’ in New York. The two partners presumably continued to sign their work individually. In 1870 the company ‘Saltzmann & Vuille’ in Plainfield, New Jersey, was founded. Auguste Saltzmann of La Chaux de Fonds is listed as the probable co-founder of Saltzmann & Vuille, which company was probably started in 1881. Saltzmann & Ville won a First Class Medal for finished watches at The National Exhibition of Horology at Chaux de Fonds in 1881, confirming them to be a high quality watchmaker. Saltzman worked at his manufactory in Plainfield until 1885 when he moved to Paris, where he lived for the rest of his life (Source).
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly. There is a 12-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines. The watch comes with a new, high-quality snakeskin-style strap made of genuine leather.
Case and Strap
- Classic, circular shaped case with speedy lugs.
- Stainless steel.
- Mineral crystal.
- Snap on glazed caseback.
- ‘Onion’ shaped crown with small button – hands can be set while button is pressed.
- Genuine leather strap with hypoallergenic polymere back.
- Width w/o crown 41 mm.
- Width w/crown 45 mm.
- Height 50.5 mm.
- Strap width 20 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original white enamel dial.
- Classic thin, black Roman numerals.
- “Auguste Saltzman” signature in very small, curling, cursive font.
- Small seconds subdial.
- Dark purple tone Breguet style hands.
- Small, thin dark purple tone second hand with arrow on short end.
- Swiss-made movement.
- Charles Jacot calibre movement hand-finished by Auguste Saltzman manufactory.
- 20 ruby jewels.
- Plates and bridges with unique Geneva stripes pattern.
- Polished screws.
- Testing duration: 2 weeks cyclic test.
- Average timekeeping range: 15-45 sec/day.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced with disassembly in our Bristol shop.
- Mechanics in full working order – has passed preventative maintenance and testing.
- Genuine hypoallergenic leather with alligator design, 20 mm.
- 12-month warranty.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.