Vintage watches from Breguet occupy a special place in any collection. This is an original antique movement, bearing the legacy of the very Abraham-Louis Breguet, a great master and inventor, who has been called the King of Watchmakers and the Watchmaker of Kings. By the end of the 19th century, the Breguet family firm had reclassified the high-tech innovations of the century: electrical systems and aviation. However, in Paris, the Breguet watchmaker at 2 Rue Edouard-VII carried out special orders for super-complex watches with perpetual calendars, repeaters, etc., thus preserving the qualifications and glorious name of the founder. This movement is a classic three-hand with a special anti-magnetic palladium spiral, and a large thermocompensation balance.
The special sloping position of the dial is for checking the time with more ease while driving, similar watches in the 1920’s were intended for those who drove professionally. The watch is made with an original antique Breguet movement, originally from a pocket watch, with a rare 24-hour time display. The case is new and custom-made, created as a single copy as part of a watch to order project. The movement is over 130 years old, and its excellent technical condition will allow it to work for many more years.
The dial has been signed with a diamond micro-cutter, the signatures are scratched into a layer of enamel on a special pantograph, which allows the inscription to be executed smoothly and very finely. This signature is fairly typical and found in Breguet watches dating from 1870-1900. No other companies have practiced such a complex method of marking.
About the Brand
Abraham-Louis Breguet is the greatest name in watchmaking. During his work from 1775 to 1823, he invented many technical solutions that are significant to the history of watchmaking, and that are still used to this day. In addition to his creation of successful innovations, Breguet also designed very high-quality watches. Of his clientele, many were some of the most notable individuals of the time, including Napoleon Bonaparte and the Russian Tsar Alexander the First. The life’s work of Abraham-Louis Breguet was continued by his children and grandchildren, who worked to maintain his principles of innovation and the highest quality of workmanship.
During his life, A.L. Breguet only released about 5,000 watches, and only a fraction of them have survived to this day. Today, the auction value of Breguet manufactory vintage watches ranges from 30,000 to 500,000 US dollars.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly. There is a 12-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines. The watch comes with a new, genuine leather black wrist strap with a buckle.
Body: ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ (10/10 like new)
Watch face: ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ (9/10 near perfect)
Mechanism: ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ (8/10 good)
Accuracy: ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ (9/10 near perfect)
Case and Strap
- Circular, classical shaped new, custom-made case with diagonal dial layout.
- Steel with satin finishing and polished edges.
- Mineral crystal, front convex.
- Glass caseback.
- ‘Onion’ shaped crown situated at an angle in the ‘motorcycle’ arrangement for wearing on the left hand.
- Knob on side for setting hands.
- Black, genuine leather snakeskin-style strap with buckle.
- Diameter without crown 49 mm.
- Height of the lugs 55 mm.
- Width of strap 24 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original white-cream-tone enamel dial.
- Classic black Roman numerals.
- “Breguet” signature in thin, cursive script – written on high-precision pantograph with diamond needle on layer of enamel (traditional Breguet method to combat counterfeiting).
- Small seconds display at numeral 6 position.
- Gold-plated, ‘spade’-style hands.
- Perfect preservation without previous restorations.
- Swiss-made movement.
- LeCoultre & Co caliber by Louis Audemars.
- 17 jewels.
- Bimetallic thermocompensated balance with adjustment screws.
- Special anti-magnetic palladium spiral.
- Thickly gilded plates and bridges.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced with disassembly in our Bristol shop.
- High accuracy – average error within 1 minute per day.
- New, high-quality snakeskin-style black genuine leather strap with a buckle.
- 12-month warranty.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.