A repeater is a ‘chiming’ pocket watch with a quarter beat function – when you press the button, it chimes out the current time. A sophisticated movement converts the current indication of the hands into a sequence of hammer strikes on the gongs. A low-pitched beat corresponds to each hour, each full quarter is denoted by a double beat of a high and low tone. The presence of an additional chronograph device makes the watch even more interesting in terms of complex mechanics.
Initially, the movement used to be in a gold case, obviously of a very solid and impressive size. The gold has long gone for scrap, but fortunately the movement has come down to us safe and sound with the original enamel dial and hands. A wrist case was made for the movement so that such a wonderful machine could be worn on the hand.
The clock turned out to be very spectacular both from the front and from the back. The movement pleases both the eye and the ear, it is a pleasure to admire it.
About Le Phare
The Swiss company LE PHARE was the first in the world to develop a technology for the production of repeaters with interchangeable parts of the movement. Before the invention of LE PHARE technology, each repeater movement required manual finishing and fitting of parts, which increased the cost of both the movement itself and its subsequent repair. The second remarkable invention of this company was the retarder centrifuge – “helicopter”, smoothly regulating the speed of the strikes of the repeater. LE PHARE has supplied more than 15 types of movements with a repeater function, and they can be found in watches from many different manufacturers. In our case, this pocket watch was released under the Lega brand, which belonged to Picard & Fils, well-known in the market of the Russian Empire.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly. There is a 6-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines. The watch comes with a black, snakeskin style genuine leather strap.
Body: (10/10 like new).
Watch face: (10/10 like new).
Movement: (9/10 near perfect).
Accuracy: (9/10 near perfect).
Case and Strap
- New, custom-made rounded case.
- Stainless steel, double glazed case with satin finish and polished welts.
- Front convex mineral crystal.
- Flip-down glass display caseback.
- Large, old repair kit crown.
- Steel push-button for setting the hands.
- Chronograph start button and repeater.
- Black, snakeskin style genuine leather strap.
- Width w/o crown 49 mm.
- Width w/ crown 55 mm.
- Height 55 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original white enamel dial.
- Elaborate, black Arabic numerals.
- Additional red daily 13 – 24-hour markings.
- “Lega” signature in Italics below numeral 12 position.
- Small seconds subdial at numeral 6 position.
- Small chronograph minute counter subdial at numeral 3 position.
- Original, ‘spade’ style dark blue hands.
- Long centre second hand.
- Swiss-made movement.
- High-quality anchor escapement.
- 16 jewels.
- Manual winding.
- Repeater ‘retarder centrifuge’.
- Gilt plates and bridges.
- Polished steel hammers.
- Average timekeeping range: within 1 min/day.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- New, snakeskin style genuine leather strap.
- 6-month guarantee, spare parts are available.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.
Links and Resources:
Video of Repeater with Sound: