Stylish and modern looking vintage ZENITH SURF watch with an original, unpolished stainless steel case in very well-preserved and unrestored condition. This timepiece is a real beauty, made by the famous Swiss watchmaker, Zenith, and features a modern case design in collectible level condition, an original, unrestored chocolate tone dial, all fully labelled with the Zenith signatures. The watch has been recently serviced, and keeps perfect time.
The ‘Fabrique des Billodes’ was founded in 1865 in Le Locle by Georges Favre-Jacot. The company first produced precision pocket watches signed with his name. However, not long after 1900 the company expanded their product line and underwent a name change. The new company name, Zenith, refers to the highest point of the universe: the zenith.
Zenith truly rose to popularity due to its creation of The El Primero calibre in 1969, which at the time was the first high frequency automatic chronograph movement. However, the current owners of the brand decided to abandon the idea of a mechanical chronograph and focus on Quartz timepieces in 1975. Amazingly, Charles Vermot, one of the original watchmakers who worked on the movement, gathered all the necessary technical plans and tools for the brilliant calibre, and hiding them in a walled-off attic at the Zenith manufacture to protect the El Primero for future generations.
Zenith watches have been owned by many notable figures, including none other than Ghandi. His silver pocket watch, gifted to him by his friend Jawaharlal Nehru, India’s Prime Minister, became one of his rare few material possessions and accompanied his daily life, notably signalling his prayer due to its alarm function.
Zenith was purchased by LVMH in November 1999, becoming one of several brands in its watch and jewellery division that included TAG Heuer and Hublot. They still create stunning, high-quality timepieces to this day.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly. Make sure to follow the usage and care guidelines.
Case and Strap
- Original tonneau shaped case with connected stainless steel strap.
- Unpolished stainless steel.
- Acrylic glass.
- Stainless steel screw caseback with stamped signature and emblem.
- Original signed crown with logo.
- Width w/o crown 36.5 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original chocolate brown tone dial.
- Applied, gold-tone indices with lume accents.
- “Zenith” signature and square emblem below numeral 12 position.
- Date aperture between indices 4 and 5.
- Original silver-tone ‘stick’ style hands with lume.
- Long silver-tone centre second hand.
- Swiss-made movement.
- Original Zenith 2572C caliber.
- 17 jewels.
- Manual winding.
- “Zenith” signature engraved on bridge.
- Power reserve 40+ hours.
- Satin-brushed bridges.
- Mirror polished wheels and screws.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- Original connected stainless steel strap.
- Care and usage guidelines.