This German made, PORTA wristwatch is in beautiful condition, and looks great – there’s a 60’s style with a modern feel to it. The caseback says ‘HANOMAG EHRUNG’, a reference to the company Hanomag – Hannoversche Maschinenbau AG, who were mostly famous for their half-truck vehicles for WW2 Wermacht. As of course this particular watch is from the mid-60’s, after WW2, it is likely that it was an honorary gift from the company for long term service.
The timepiece has an original gold-plated case with a high shine, that compliments the white and gold tones of the dial. It has a clean tidy face, in great overall condition. The high grade manual movement by PUW Pforzheim UhrenFabrik inside is truly the best quality from German manufactories of the 1960’s.
About Porta and Hanomag
Porta was a German watch manufacture, founded in 1948 by Rudolf Wehner, founder and co-owner of Pforzheim Uhrenrohwerke (PUW). The company manufactured complete wristwatches under the brand name “Porta”, all of which were fitted with PUW movements made by the same company.
Hanomag was a German producer of steam locomotives, tractors, trucks and military vehicles in Hanover, founded around 1835. They became an acclaimed company, first rising to fame by delivering numerous steam locomotives to Finland, Romania and Bulgaria before World War I, and second for their iconic military vehicle, the Sd.Kfz. 251, allegedly nicknamed “The Honomag”. It was built to protect and transport the Panzergrenadier mechanised infantry forces, and was by far the most common German armoured troop-carrying vehicle of World War II, as well as a direct precursor to the armoured personnel carriers of today.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly. There is a 12-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines. The watch comes with a bright red 18 mm genuine leather strap.
Case and Strap
- Original, round case with straight lugs.
- Acrylic glass.
- Stainless steel screw caseback.
- Simple, gold-plated crown.
- Width w/o crown 33 mm.
- Width w/crown 35 mm.
- Thickness 10 mm.
- Strap width 18 mm.
- Lug to lug (height) 39 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original, circular cream-tone dial.
- Thin, gold-tone applied indices with doubling at 3, 6, 9.
- Stylised, gold-tone Arabic numeral 12.
- “Porta” cursive signature below 12.
- Original gold-plated ‘Dauphine’ style hands with lume.
- Long gold-plated seconds hand.
- German-made movement.
- PUW 60 calibre.
- 17 jewels.
- Satin brushed finishing of bridges, wheels.
- Polished screws.
- Testing duration: 2 weeks cyclic test.
- Average timekeeping range: 15-30 sec/day.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced with disassembly in our Bristol shop.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- 18mm genuine soft red leather strap.
- 12-month warranty.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.