1960’s, perfect military style wristwatch with a solid stainless steel, ‘space-age’ shaped case, housing a quality Swiss automatic movement inside. The dial is a perfectly preserved shiny black, with authentic military-style numerals (non-radium, still glows). Features a signed ‘West End Watch’ winding crown! This watch model is named after the famous mounted warriors who served in the Indian Army before Independence in 1947. They were known as Sowars, meaning ‘cavalrymen’ – one of the elite troops of the Indian army who rode on horseback.
About the West End Watch Co.
The West End Watch Co Bombay-Calcutta was founded in 1886 by Arnold Amstutz and Constant Droz. The name is inspired by The West End district of London, however the company’s primary focus was the distribution of their watches overseas to the Indian and Middle Eastern markets. The brand has an impressive history spanning 120 years, producing the first waterproof pocket watch in 1886, and providing British and Indian armed forces with West End Watch Co watches during the First World War. The company still exists and produces watches to this day.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly. There is a 12-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines. The watch comes with a new, khaki green seatbelt style nylon strap.
Case and Strap
- Unusual space-age shaped stainless steel case.
- Pan-shaped mineral crystal.
- Stainless steel screw caseback.
- Signed West End Watch Co. winding crown
- Black leather strap with white stitching.
- Width w/o crown 35.8 mm
- Width w/ crown 37.9 mm
- Full height 40.3 mm
- Thickness 10.2 mm.
- Strap width 18 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original black dial.
- Military style Arabic numerals with lume (re-lumed).
- “West End Watch Co – Sowa” signature below numeral 12 position.
- Date window over 6 position.
- Original silver-tone ‘Mercedes’ style hands with lume (re-lumed).
- Silver-tone centre seconds hand with tail.
- Swiss-made movement.
- ETA 2872 caliber.
- 17 jewels.
- Automatic with hand winding.
- Quickset date.
- Satin brushed gilt plates and bridges.
- Mirror polished wheels and screws.
- Testing duration: 2 week cyclic test.
- Average timekeeping range: 10-25 sec/day.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- 12-month guarantee.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.