The famous Camping model from the well known Tissot brand, was introduced in 1938 and very popular at the time. This 1953 model has an all original case, dial, hands, and movement. The genuine brown leather strap, although new, fits the look of the original watch perfectly, nicely complimenting the gold tone of the dial. A popular timepiece in the 1940’s and 1950’s, this watch was featured in a number of Tissot adverts alongside their other popular models at the time. A nice, comfortable size at 33 mm, this watch is subtle, practical and functional, yet keeps it stylish, retro feel – perfect for a camping trip!
The gold-tone dial is in great condition and has an attractive, slightly speckled patina which adds to the retro feel; the gold-tone indices are in a tapered style, with thick, stylised Arabic numerals 3, 9, and 12. A seconds subdial sits at the numeral 6 position. The condition of the movement is very good, moving briskly and keeping accurate time. The watch has an interesting and rare feature of a glazed dust cover under the caseback, which was unusual for the period. In later decades and still now today, many brands use this feature. The caseback also holds some useful information: Patent 254-855 is stamped there, while the Tissot brand logo, in all its glory, can be seen just above it. The 1953 production year can be identified by the serial number on the movement.
About the Brand
Tissot SA is a Swiss luxury brand, founded in Le Locle, Switzerland by Charles-Félicien Tissot and his son, Charles-Émile Tissot, in 1853. Tissot merged with watch company Omega SA in 1930, forming SSIH (Société Suisse pour l’Industrie Horlogère), and Tissot-Omega watches from this era are much sought after by collectors. Tissot is an official timekeeper for the world championships in cycling, motorcycling, fencing and ice hockey, and was also a sponsor for the Formula One car-racing teams Lotus, Renault, and Sauber.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly. There is a 12-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines. The watch comes with a new, 18 mm genuine brown leather strap.
Case and Strap
- Circular case with speedy lugs.
- Chrome plated.
- Acrylic crystal.
- Stainless steel caseback with acrylic glass dust-cover underneath.
- Dust proof.
- Width w/o crown 33.3 mm.
- Width w/crown 35 mm.
- Height 42.5 mm.
- Strap width 18 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original gold-tone metal dial.
- Tapered, gold-tone indices.
- Gold-tone Arabic numerals 3, 9, 12.
- Small seconds subdial at numeral 6 position.
- Silver-tone ‘lozenge’-style hour and minute hands.
- Small silver-tone seconds hand.
- Swiss-made movement.
- Tissot 27B-1 calibre.
- Signed “CH TISSOT & FILS”
- 15 jewels.
- Satin brushed plates and bridges.
- Polished screws.
- Mirror polished wheels.
- Testing duration: 2 weeks cyclic test.
- Average timekeeping range: 15-30 sec/day.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced with disassembly in our Bristol shop.
- Mechanics in full working order – has passed preventative maintenance and testing.
- High-quality, genuine brown leather strap, 18 mm.
- 12-month warranty.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.