This 1960’s timepiece with its shape and condition is looking an actual statement on the wrist. The bright gold of the case contrasts nicely with the gold-to-chocolate brown gradient of the dial, which sports an interesting design of high, raised numeral markers. Interestingly, the movement is not Swiss made, but German, as a component of the Dugena brand.
The gold-to-chocolate gradient dial is unusual in design, with the particularly highly raised numeral markers accentuated by the white of the seconds markers and the “DUGENA” signature, as well as by the white-filled gold-tone ‘blunt’ minute and hour hands. The German brand Dugena was particularly popular in the 1960’s and 1970’s, producing many of the Dugena ‘Classic’ design watches, like the one here. The watch is medium in size, with a nicely shaped oval case that pleasantly exhibits the circular dial. Retro and yet still interesting and classy, this timepiece is in great condition and ready to wear.
About the Brand
Dugena – originally called Alpina – was founded in 1883, becoming Dugena in Berlin in 1945. The brand was the first to introduce uniform advertising and shop window designs in the new Federal Republic of Germany after WW2, and was fast becoming very popular for their reliability and modern designs. By the 1960’s, Dugena had become the most successful German watch brand, and in 1964 they expanded their line to also include jewellery.
The economic crisis of the 1970’s created large problems for the brand, causing them to go under for a period. However, in 2009 Dugena was revived, and continues to be committed to creating reliable and high-quality timepieces to this day.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly in our Bristol workshop. There is a 12-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines. The watch comes with a good-quality, snakeskin-style black leather strap.
Case and Strap
- Oval shaped case.
- Snap stainless steel caseback.
- Simple, gold-plated crown.
- Width w/o crown 34.2 mm.
- Width with crown 37 mm.
- Height 39 mm.
- Strap width 18 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Chocolate brown-tone dial.
- Raised gold-tone numeral markers.
- Small, thin white seconds markers.
- “Dugena” “Classic” signature with three-point emblem.
- ‘Blunt’ type, gold-tone hour and minute hands, white filled.
- Long, thin gold-tone seconds hand.
- Dugena 2111 / Durowe 7420/2 caliber movement (made in Germany).
- 17 jewels.
- Basic finishing of screws, wheels and bridges – no polishing.
- “Dugena” signature in cursive font on large wheel.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced with disassembly in our Bristol shop.
- New fitted leather strap.
- 12-month guarantee.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.