This is the renowned, glowing TISSOT PR516. PR stands for Particularly Robust, while 516 is the movement finishing and model name. This particular 516 model was very popular during the 70’s, but today the watch is produced as the PRS516, has been heavily changed, and has nothing in common with the original.
During the years of the original PR516 production, Tissot movements were produced at the same factory as Omega and bear very similar signs, for example round serial number plates. According to the Tissot serial number dating charts, the movement production year for this watch is 1972, making it a great gift for anyone born during that year!
This particular watch is in great condition; the movement runs like new. It has an unusually shaped, retro gold plated case with a screw stainless steel caseback and original acrylic crystal. The quirky shape of the ‘rectangular’ date window really adds to the interesting aesthetic of this watch.
Tissot SA is a Swiss luxury watch brand, founded in Le Locle, Switzerland by Charles-Félicien Tissot and his son, Charles-Émile Tissot, in 1853. In 1858 Charles-Emile Tissot travelled to Russia, where he succeeded in selling and popularising the company’s Savonette Pocket Watches across the Russian Empire. In 2021, Tissot SA is marketing the Le Locle Powermatic 80, which has a watch face designed to mimic the clock tower in its founding city of Le Locle.
Tissot merged with watch company Omega SA in 1930, forming SSIH (Société Suisse pour l’Industrie Horlogère), and Tissot-Omega watches from this era are much sought after by collectors. Tissot is an official timekeeper for the world championships in cycling, motorcycling, fencing and ice hockey, and was also a sponsor for the Formula One car-racing teams Lotus, Renault, and Sauber.
Tissot watches have been worn by the likes of Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, Grace Kelly, Elvis Presley and Nelson Mandela.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly. There is a 12-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines. The watch comes with a new, 18 mm genuine brown leather strap with brown and yellow thread detail.
Case and Strap
- Original, tonneau style case.
- Original acrylic crystal.
- Screw stainless steel caseback.
- Gold-plated crown with pull-out function.
- Genuine brown leather strap with brown and yellow thread detail.
- Width w/o crown 34 mm.
- Width w/crown 36.3 mm.
- Height 41 mm.
- Thickness 11.5 mm.
- Strap width 18 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original, circular gold-tone dial.
- Gold-tone, polished, applied indices with black accents.
- “Tissot” signature and square gold emblem with black “T” below 12.
- Quirky rectangular date window at 3.
- Gold-tone, lumed ‘stick’ style hour and minute hands.
- Long thin seconds hand.
- Swiss-made movement.
- Tissot 2461 calibre.
- 17 jewels.
- Manual winding.
- Calendar date window.
- Incabloc shockproof.
- 40+ hours power reserve.
- Satin brushed wheels, plates and bridges.
- Polished screws.
- Testing duration: 2 weeks cyclic test.
- Average timekeeping range: 15-40 sec/day.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced with disassembly in our Bristol shop.
- Mechanics in full working order – has passed preventative maintenance and testing.
- High-quality, 18 mm genuine brown leather strap.
- 12-month warranty.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.
Links and Resources:
Tissot Official Website Company History.