High-quality, Swiss-made vintage 1960’s wristwatch from the well-known Roamer brand. This timepiece is a dress watch with elegant and fancy details that won’t necessarily be caught at first glance, but upon a closer look are very intriguing. The silvered dial has an unusual linen patterning design, while the case bezel is decorated with a rare and interesting sunray style brushing technique. The Italian leather calf strap is extremely high-quality and matches the tone of the watch very nicely.
At 29 years of age, Fritz Meyer established a workshop in Solothurn to produce cylinder escapements for other etablisseurs. The company grew rapidly, and began assembling complete watches by 1895. These contained components from many other businesses and were sold with other brand names. In 1897, Meyer’s workshop produced its first complete movement, named “Calibre 38” for the age of the founder. In 1905, Meyer partnered with watchmaker Johann Studeli, forming Meyer and Studeli or MST. The combined company opened a large factory in 1906, still producing inexpensive cylinder movements. The company registered their distinctive triangular MST logo in 1927 and the modern Roamer logo was registered in the UK in 1938. The entire company adopted the Roamer name in 1951, though the in-house movements were still known as “MST”. Roamer introduced a quartz watch in 1972 and shifted much of their production there. By 1975 the company had ceased movement production entirely.
In 2009, Roamer was reincorporated as a joint venture between Chung Nam and Swiss Watch Group. Although no longer an independent family firm, Roamer has continued as a producer of Swiss watches for more than 120 years in the same city. Today, Roamer is a less-expensive brand, competing with companies like Rado, Mido, Movado, and Tissot with a line of quartz and ETA-powered mechanical watches.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly in our Bristol workshop. There is a 12-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines. The watch comes with an Italian leather calf strap.
Case and Strap
- Original rounded case with straight lugs.
- Gold plated.
- Acrylic crystal.
- Snap-on stainless steel caseback.
- Small crown with pull-out function.
- Width w/o crown 34 mm.
- Width w/crown 35.6 mm.
- Height 36.2 mm.
- Thickness 8.8 mm.
- Strap width 18 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original, silvery toned linen patterned dial.
- Applied gold-tone indices with thicker block style indices at 3, 6, 9, 12.
- “Roamer” signature.
- ‘Dauphine’ stye, bright gold-tone hour and minute hands.
- Long, gold-tone seconds hand.
- Swiss-made movement.
- MST 414 calibre.
- 17 jewels.
- High-precision micro regulator.
- Shockproof device.
- Satin finished bridges with bevel.
- Polished screws.
- Testing duration: 2 weeks cyclic test.
- Average timekeeping range: 15-45 sec/day.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced with disassembly in our Bristol shop.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- Italian leather calf strap, high quality and matching tone.
- 12-month warranty.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.