This high-class conversion watch houses an original IWC pocket watch movement which, according to the IWC serial number catalogue, was produced in about 1898. The original 1898 movement was made by IWC Schaffhausen, with its original signed enamel dial, and is a very early ‘Schaffhausen’ Caliber 56. Rarely seen in collections, Caliber 56 was in production from 1898 up to 1921, and has become a mother movement for the whole family of American movements mass-produced by the Non-Magnetic Watch Co.
This new case style can be easily recognised as the IWC Big Pilot. It has a large, handy winding crown, and a special button for setting the hands – the movement type is too early for the pull-out crown invention to have been implemented yet. Thus, the time can be adjusted by pushing this button.
We spent a lot of time to machine this case and prepare the movement for wearing on the wrist. Due to its great technical condition, the movement shows the average precision of within 30 sec/day, which is about the same as any new watch bought back in 1898.
About The International Watch Company
The International Watch Company (IWC) is a luxury Swiss watch manufacturer, founded in 1868 by American watchmaker Florentine Ariosto Jones. The company is well-known for their high-quality pilot/aviation watches, as well as for using titanium in their products. They have been a subsidiary of the Swiss Richemont Group since 2000, and since then have also been recognised for their commitment to environmental protection and sustainable development in the watchmaking industry.
The IWC is particularly famous for their complicated watches, such as the notable Da Vinci watch with perpetual calendar, and the Grande Complication watch, Sidérale Scafusia, which was released in 2011 after taking ten years to develop, and is one of the most complicated wristwatches in the world.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly in our Bristol workshop. There is a 12-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines. Comes with a new, black genuine leather snakeskin style strap.
Case and Strap
- New ‘IWC Big Pilot’ style case.
- Stainless steel.
- Mineral crystal.
- Mineral crystal display caseback.
- Vintage style crown with side button.
- New, genuine leather snakeskin style black strap.
- Width w/o crown 48 mm.
- Width w/crown 52 mm.
- Height 55.7 mm.
- Thickness 14 mm.
- Strap width 22 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original, white enamel dial.
- Thin, black Roman numerals.
- Early type “International Watch Co,” signature in cursive script.
- Small seconds subdial over numeral 6 position.
- Blued steel, ‘spade’ style hour and minute hands.
- Blued steel seconds hand with tail.
- Swiss-made movement.
- IWC Caliber 56.
- 15/16 jewels.
- Manual winding.
- Gilt bridges.
- Mirror polished wheel and screws.
- Testing duration: 2 weeks cyclic test.
- Average timekeeping range: 15-30 sec/day.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced with disassembly in our Bristol shop.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- Genuine leather, snakeskin style black strap.
- 12-month guarantee.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.