Original 1965 vintage STRAD wristwatch with the rare and famous Super-Compressor water protection system, Patent (Brevet) 313813 for the protected caseback and winding crown. The watch features a very distinctive large winding crown with a cross hatch pattern, and a lovely anthracite blue dial with silver hands and indices.
These compressors make excellent dress watches as they are slightly larger than their similar-period dress watches, and also because they are very well built with EPSA solid steel cases. However, the EPSA cases are not just for show. Developed and then patented in 1956 by watch case manufacturer Ervin Piquerez S.A. ( hence the name: EPSA), the “Super-Compressor” design takes advantage of the water pressure the case is exposed to at depth to press the case back against the o-ring seal. More depth equals more water pressure equals greater seal, and dual crown Super-Compressor watches typically have a depth rating of 600 ft. This same concept was employed by Omega in the Naiad crowns used on Seamaster 300 watches in the 60’s. Well regarded as being very high quality and watertight, EPSA manufactured the S-C cases in a variety of styles from the late 50’s until bankruptcy closed the business in the mid 1970’s. The fact that so many survive today is a testament to their quality.
This timepiece is in great original condition: near-perfect case, near-perfect dial, near-perfect unusual movement, this is a truly collectible and fully wearable vintage ‘skin diver’ watch – chock full of collectible features. The case and crown are both stainless steel, with a snap-in sprung caseback, acrylic crystal, and steel crown with cross-hatched lines all create a classy yet rugged aesthetic. Then, when combined with the rare tone anthracite bluish-grey dial with mirror polished indexes and ‘Dauphine’ hands, the whole ensemble makes this watch the perfect vintage catch full of desirable features.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly. There is a 12-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines. The watch comes with a new, high-quality black nylon seatbelt strap.
Case and Strap
- Original, circular super-compressor case.
- Stainless steel case body.
- Acrylic crystal.
- Stainless steel snap-in sprung caseback.
- Stainless steel winding crown with cross-hatched lines.
- Width w/o crown 33.9 mm.
- Width w/ crown 36.8 mm.
- Full height 38 mm.
- Thickness 10 mm.
- Strap width 18 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original rare tone anthracite blue-grey dial.
- Silver-tone mirror polished indices.
- Signed “STRAD Geneve” below numeral 12 position.
- Silver-tone mirror polished ‘Dauphine’ style hands.
- Long silver-tone centre seconds hand.
- Swiss-made movement.
- FHF/ST 96 caliber, unusual early version with uncut top plate and extra jewelling.
- 17 jewels.
- Manual wind.
- Incabloc shockproof.
- Satin brushed plates, bridges and wheels.
- Mirror polished screws.
- Testing duration: 2 cyclic test.
- Average timekeeping range: 15-25 sec/day.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- New black seatbelt nylon strap.
- 12-month guarantee.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.