This 1970’s wristwatch gives off an air of simultaneous simplicity and complexity, created by the well-known Solvil et Titus brand – renowned as a WW2 German Army watch supplier, and for their unique and romantic watch designs in the 1970’s and 80’s. Everything is of high-quality, and shines almost like new, while still retaining that slight patina of age – reminding one of its vintage origins.
The complimenting silver tones of the watch case, the bezel, dial, indices and hands, create a stylish and interesting look, a little more unusual for the 1970’s. The dial has a pleasant pearlescent shine to it, while the Solvil et Titus wreath emblem above the brand name really adds to the attractive aesthetic of the watch. The monochrome colours of the watch itself, are very nicely offset by the white and blue military style nylon strap. However, there are two straps in the set – a classical leather strap as well as the marine style nylon strap – meaning that you can change the look and style of the watch depending on which strap you choose.
About the Brand
Solvil et Titus was founded in Switzerland in 1887 by Paul Bernard Ditisheim. The word “Solvil” comes from the name of the Swiss village of Sonvilier which was known for its watch component manufactory; meanwhile, “Titus” refers to the Roman emperor from the first century AD. The founder of the company, P. B. Ditisheim, was renowned for his watchmaking skills since the young age of 13, though only truly earning his fame and popularity by winning the world’s chronometric record at the Royal Kew Observatory in 1912.
After the end of WWII, Solvil et Titus established a presence in Asia after its popularity grew exponentially among the middle class. The company’s heyday was arguably during the 1980’s, due to its popular series of TV ads featuring celebrities such as Anita Mui, and the footballer Ryan Giggs. Solvil et Titus still produce high-quality timepieces today, designing pieces that are crafted to express individual identity and romance – staying true to their tagline “Time Is Love”.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly in our Bristol workshop. There is a 12-month guarantee on the accurate functioning of the mechanism, as long as usage and care guidelines are followed correctly. The watch comes with two high-quality straps – one classical genuine leather strap and one marine style nylon strap.
Case and Strap
- Circular case with speedy lugs.
- Chrome plated.
- Pan-shaped acrylic glass.
- Stainless steel screw-down caseback.
- Silver-tone crown with pull-out function.
- Width w/o crown 33 mm.
- Width w/crown 35.5 mm.
- Height 39 mm.
- Strap width (both) 18 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original silver-tone metal dial.
- Raised, silver-tone Arabic numerals 3, 6, 9, 12.
- Lozenge style silver-tone indices.
- Small seconds markers.
- ‘Dauphine’ style silver-tone lume hour and minute hands.
- Long silver-tone seconds hand.
- Swiss-made movement.
- FHF ST 96 calibre.
- 17 jewels.
- Originally shockproof but this cannot be guaranteed for vintage watches.
- Mirror-polished wheels and screws.
- Unusual fish-scale or bee-hive finishing of plates and bridges.
- Testing duration: 2 weeks cyclic test.
- Average timekeeping range: 20-45 sec/day.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced with disassembly in our Bristol shop.
- Mechanics in full working order – has passed preventative maintenance and testing.
- High-quality black genuine leather strap.
- High-quality military style striped nylon strap
- 12-month warranty.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.