Vintage TRICE WATCH CO digital ‘art deco’ style wristwatch. This watch reflects the futuristic 70’s approach to the idea of the digital watch, while still utilising a mechanical movement. It is far from the sort of watch that you’re used to seeing, and would be barely recognizable to anyone during that era – the watch looks more like a microelectronics device than something mechanical that really ticks inside! The 70’s ‘electronic/digital’ era saw classical mechanical brands competing with electronic watches, which led to the development of these kind of ‘digi-mech’ mechanical timepieces with digital display complications. Fun fact – 99% of those 1970’s ‘advanced’ electronic digital watches are now dead and non-repairable, due to the degradation of the integrated electronic components. However, the horological digi-mech creations are still alive and running, and with regular servicing will continue to do so for 100+ years.
The movement used is a Baumgartner calibre based on a pin-lever type escapement, and the Trice Watch Co signature can be found on the movement bridge. It’s not the best timekeeper, and has only 1 ruby jewel, but considering its age the performance is still pretty good.
About The Trice Watch Co.
The Trice Watch Co brand was founded in Switzerland in 1930 by Robert Tiebold, and registered on 19/10/1970 by the Agon Watch company, headed by Robert Tiebold Ltd.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly. There is a 6-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines. The watch comes with a thick new genuine leather strap with thread detail.
Case and Strap
- Original, ‘wonky’ geometric style case.
- Gold plated case body.
- Acrylic crystal.
- Steel screw caseback.
- Thick, high-quality genuine leather strap.
- Width w/o crown 32.5 mm.
- Width w/ crown 35 mm.
- Full height 38 mm.
- Thickness 10 mm.
- Strap width 26 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original ‘wonky’ rectangular shaped black dial.
- Crescent overlapping white digital display with hours and minutes.
- “DIGITAL Swiss” signature to the right of the time display.
- Swiss-made movement.
- Baumgartner 582 caliber.
- 1 jewel.
- Manual wind.
- Basic finishing of plates and bridges.
- Polished wheels and screws.
- Testing duration: 2 weeks cyclic test.
- Average timekeeping range: 30-90 sec/day.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced with disassembly in our Bristol shop.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- New, thick genuine leather light brown strap with thread detail.
- 6-month guarantee.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.
Links and Resources:
Baumgartner 582 Movement Specs.