Key Features and Information
Humans have been contemplating their mortality and the inevitability of death since time immemorial, and one such expression of this is memento mori, ‘remember you will die’ in Latin. The expression, ‘memento mori’, seems to have emerged around the 16th century, but philosophical musings on the concept have been identified in classical antiquity and beyond.
Most notably, this concept of the ephemerality and transience of life features heavily in the vanitas genre of painting. Between the 16th and 17th century, many artists produced oil paintings that featured skulls, wilting flowers with fallen petals, and hourglasses, all metaphors for the inescapable reality of death and the ceaseless march of time.
Perhaps the most encapsulating symbol of the concept of memento mori is the human skull. A timeless reminder of death which we have put to use in this bespoke engraved dial. The gold skull shines through the black-silver soil where it has been buried. The letters comprising MEMENTO MORI represent the hour markers, which conveniently fit the 12 positions required. A simple concept, but something we haven’t seen before!
About the Edge Model Series and PG Watch Manufactory
The idea of the EDGE model line is formulated as Art & Frame . ‘Art’ – the dial as a work of art, an artistic jewellery miniature, while the case is the ‘Frame’, which protects the artistic miniature from the external environment, while not loading the item with high value. The EDGE series watches are all practical and comfortable – sizes 40-41 mm, with convex sapphire glass, and using the classic Japanese automatic brand, Miyota (quality as in ETA, any spare parts are available), basic protection against everyday household problems with moisture. The watch is assembled in Great Britain in the private workshop of German Polosin.
The PG Watch Manufactory (the PG logo is indicated instead of the number 6 on the watch) is ready to offer handmade watches developed according to customer’s sketches within the Watch Atelier. This customised model from the EDGE series is the optimal combination of convenience and quality for a reasonable price, and all while getting our own completely unique timepiece. Handmade watches are a valuable, unforgettable gift.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece is completely new, and is made to your special requirements here in our Bristol workshop. There is a 12-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines. Comes with genuine leather strap.
Case and Strap
- Circular ‘King size’ case with classical lugs.
- Stainless steel WR30 with mirror and satin combo finish.
- Sapphire semi-domed crystal.
- Stainless steel screw caseback with sapphire crystal display window.
- Black genuine calf leather strap.
- Can be assembled for wearing on the right hand (crown at 9 position).
- Width w/o crown 40.7 mm.
- Width w/ crown 43.5 mm.
- Height 49 mm.
- Strap width 20 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Silver black-tone engraved dial with a gold relief skull emerging in the centre.
- ‘MEMENTOMORI’ engraved letters in place of hour markers.
- Alpha-style grey tone steel hour and minute hands.
- Unique thin seconds hand with diamond shaped ‘pommel’.
- Japanese-made movement.
- Robust Miyota 821A caliber.
- 21 jewels.
Servicing and Guarantee
- New, bespoke wristwatch.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- Black, genuine calf leather strap.
- 12-month guarantee, spare parts are available.
When ordering, specify the photo of a specific instance that you will receive, each watch is unique and may differ slightly.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.