Delightfully retrofuturistic in design, this timepiece looks like it belongs in a science fiction film. This Airain Digi-mech is in near perfect condition considering its age. The nicely sized 35mm square case body is chrome plated but looks almost factory fresh, with a brushed texture on the face and a mirror shine on the faceted edges. The dial is a deep, malachite tone green, and like other digi-mechs feels securely embedded in the case body. Hour and minute wheels are in a legible black and white, viewable through the two radial windows, accompanying a square date indicator on the right. We’ve fitted it with a brand new 20mm brown leather strap.
These ‘digi-mechs’ from the 70’s ‘electronic/digital’ era, when classical mechanical brands were competing with electronic watches and developing these kind of mechanical timepieces with digital display complications. Fun fact – 99% of those advanced electronic digital watches are now dead and non-repairable, due to the degradation of the integrated electronic components. However, the horological digi-mech creations are still alive and running, and with regular servicing will continue to do so for 100+ years.
This particular model doesn’t use a jump-hour mechanism like its digi-mech kin, rather the wheels move continuously.
About Montres Airain
Montres Airain, established in 1934 by the Dodane family, is a brand that rose to prominence in the 1950s as an aircraft chronograph supplier. Several specifications were required for such a mechanism, including a bi-directional bezel and minimum 35hr power reserve among other things, so that it was suitable for military use. Named the Type 20 chronograph, this piece of horological technology forms the DNA of most Airain watches and has informed the iconic design.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly. Make sure to follow the usage and care guidelines.
Case and Strap
- Chrome-plated square case body.
- Stainless steel screw-down caseback.
- New 20mm brown leather strap/
- Width w/ crown: 38.5mm
- Width w/o crown: 35.5mm
- Height: 40.5mm
- Thickness: 11mm
- Strap: 20mm
Dial and Hands
- Narrow deep green malachite-tone dial.
- Hour and minute wheel windows, move continuously throughout the day.
- White date indicator on right.
- Signed ‘Airain’ at bottom of dial.
- Acrylic crystal.
- French-made movement.
- Lorsa 238ADI calibre with digital instant jump hours module add-on.
- 17 jewels.
- Manual winding.
- Simple finishing of plates and bridges.
- Mirror polished wheels.
- Polished screws.
- Testing duration: 2 weeks cyclic test
- Average timekeeping range: 15-30 sec/day
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- Original connected stainless steel strap.
- Care and usage guidelines.