Gorgeous 1950s Avia manual wind, in remarkable condition considering its age. The 34mm case is chrome plated and unrestored, but still holds a healthy lustre. Under the acrylic crystal is a lovely cream white dial, with an incredibly intricate ultra fine minute track printed in the centre of the watch. Applied and lumed teardrop-shaped gold indices alternate with gold Arabic numerals, which correspond to small lume blocks on the centre minute track. Some lume remains on the steeple-like gold hour hand, but it has long since decayed on the matching minute hand. One last feature of note, and perhaps the most charming, is the arrow-style red sweep second hand which contrasts with the rest of the white-gold tones of the watch.
Avia was a Swiss watch watch company. The history of Avia watches goes back to the latter end of the 19th century. They made good mechanical lever movement watches under their own brand name and provided watches and movements for other brands including New York, The Ball Watch company and A Wittnauer.
In 1968 after becoming part of a consortium of watch manufacturers they developed the first quartz digital watch with a LCD (liquid crystal display) and revealed it to the world in 1972. This invention took the watch market by storm and meant that watches of unparalleled accuracy could be mass produced cheaply. This market lead didn’t last long as the technology was easily copied. Eventually Avia was bought out by the Fossil Group who still sell Avia watches today.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly. Make sure to follow the usage and care guidelines.
Case and Strap
- Chrome plated circular case.
- Screw-down steel caseback.
- Domed acrylic crystal.
- Domed steel winding crown.
- Black and brown 16mm leather strap.
- Width w/ crown: 34mm
- Width w/o crown: 31mm
- Height: 39mm
- Thickness: 8mm
- Strap: 16mm
Dial and Hands
- Cream white dial with ultra fine minute track and lume blocks.
- Applied gold indices and Arabic numerals with lume.
- Semi-lumed steeple-shaped gold hands.
- Red sweep second hand.
- Signed ‘Avia’ below 12 position.
- Swiss made movement.
- FHF 67 calibre.
- Manual wind.
- Sweep seconds.
- 15 jewels.
- 51hr power reserve.
- Testing duration: 1 week cyclic test
- Average timekeeping range: 20-40 sec/day
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- Original connected stainless steel strap.
- Care and usage guidelines.