Beautifully well-preserved NIVADA, SA pocket watch with the Turkish Railroads symbols on the caseback. The emblem has been only lightly scratched and still looks great for its age. The pocket watch features a typical screw-bezel and screw-back case type, with clear, easily-readable numerals and the typical railroad 13…24-hour chapter in a deep red tone around the outer edge of the dial. This timepiece has a nice weight to it, and comes with its original leather pocket watch strap with T-bar end-piece – still in very good condition.
About Nivada, SA
Nivada SA was a Swiss watchmaking company founded around 1887 in Grenchen, Switzerland. The brand became quite well-known post WWII, and produced a series of successful watch models before their disappearance in the 1970’s, due to the quartz crisis.
Nivada have been known to have operated a number of trademarks including Croton, Lamont, and the Kim Suk Keun Watch Company in South Korea. Croton was formed in 1940 in the United States as a distributor for Nivada products, which is why many were sold as and can be found under the names ‘Croton Nivada’, ‘Croton Nivada Grenchen’, and just ‘Croton’.
Today, the Nivada brand continues in some markets, notably Mexico. The brand was purchased by Salinas Pliego, and in 2000 sales were restarted by Grupo Salinas, selling entry-level watches.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly in our Bristol workshop. There is a 12-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines. Comes with original brown genuine leather pocket watch strap and T-bar end-piece.
Case and Strap
- Original circular case with gently rounded sides and screw bezel.
- Chrome plated.
- Mineral crystal.
- Chrome screw caseback with Turkish railways emblem.
- Crown with button set in ring.
- Original brown leather strap and T-bar end-piece.
- Width w/o crown 50.5 m.
- Width w/ crown 61.5 mm.
- Full height 68 mm.
- Thickness 14.5 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original cream-tone dial.
- Black, elegant cursive style Arabic numerals.
- Red 13 – 24 hour markers around outer edge.
- “Nivada” signature below numeral 12 position.
- Small seconds subdial over numeral 6 position.
- Blued steel ‘Breguet’ style hands.
- Swiss-made movement.
- Unitas 6431/6445 caliber.
- 15 jewels.
- Manual winding.
- Satin-brushed bridges.
- Satin-brushed wheels in sunburst style.
- Polished screws.
- Testing duration: 2 weeks cyclic test.
- Average timekeeping range: 10-30 sec/day.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- Original brown strap with T-bar end-piece.
- 12-month guarantee.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.