A relatively modern Ulysse Nardin tool high precision pocket watch. The dial is classic enamel and very finely crafted, and the case is made of solid stainless steel, complete with hallmarks and serial numbers. The exact time of manufacture is difficult to determine, but presumably it would be in the 1950’s and 60’s. The serial number on the movement points to the 1910’s – 20’s, but the case, as well as the anchor design on the dial point to the post-war years. Small-scale production of warehouse mechanisms is most likely.
It is worth noting the integrity of the watch. Its preservation is exclusively collectible – the item is as good as new. The case is a shining, polished stainless steel, contrasting with the enamel of the dial, and the hands of an exquisite dark-eggplant shade of blue. The movement is well preserved, almost like a new watch – the polished body and glass shines and shimmers. It also runs like new; the inaccuracy is only off by a few seconds per day.
Key Information About ‘Sideral’ or Sidereal Charting
The name ‘Sideral’ indicates that the purpose of the watch is for counting sidereal time. Sidereal time is determined by the sea sextant according to the position of the stars in the sky, and then compared with the ship’s keeper of the accurate Greenwich time – the marine chronometer. Comparing the sidereal time and Greenwich Mean Time allows you to find the longitude with an accuracy that is quite sufficient for safe navigation on nautical charts.
About the Brand
Ulysse Nardin was founded in 1846 in the Swiss province of Le Locle, by the talented watchmaker Ulysses Nardin. Soon after the company started production, they began to concentrate on the creation of high-precision timekeeping devices, in particular marine chronometers, as well as complex watches containing minute repeaters, perpetual calendars, and chronographs. Keeping the jewellery and decorative component to a minimum, U. Nardin found that the formula for success in the art of precision mechanics was functionality, accuracy, and reliability.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly in our Bristol workshop. There is a 6-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines.
Body: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (10/10 like new)
Watch face: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (10/10 like new)
Mechanism: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (10/10 like new)
Accuracy: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (10/10 like new)
- Original, circular case with smoothly rounded edges.
- Solid stainless steel.
- Old, original Plex glass.
- Flip-down caseback.
- Original steel crown at numeral 12 situated in the ring.
- Diameter without the crown is 50 mm.
- Ring height is 66 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original, white enamel dial.
- Arabic numerals.
- “Ulysse Nardin-Chronometer-Sideral-Swiss-made” signature and logo with anchor.
- Small seconds display.
- Unusually shaped, dark purple/blue hour, minute, and seconds hands.
- Swiss-made vintage movement.
- Typical Ulysse Nardin caliber.
- 17 purple ruby jewels.
- Micrometric precision regulator.
- Bimetallic balance with thermocompensation and adjustment screws.
- Breguet balance spiral.
- Thickly gilded plates and bridges.
- High-quality polishing of screws and wheels.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced with disassembly in our Bristol shop.
- Fully functional as a chronometer – error of just a few seconds per day.
- 6-month warranty.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.
Links and Resources:
Ulysse Nardin Company History (official website).