An authentic and very rare Masonic watch from around the 1910’s – about 100 years old. The rare, original enamel dial is decorated with freemasonry symbols, including the two pillars – Boaz and Joachim. Unlike modern modified dial remakes, this one is a truly original enamel dial, hand-painted and baked in a hot enamel surface (see video).
This could likely be an expensive bespoke work, as the artist worked very hard and took significant care here – every symbol is hand-painted with polychrome enamel baked powder. The gold top layer is baked at a lower temperature to keep bottom enamel layers untouched.
The movement is in excellent condition, runs and keeps near perfect time for its 100-yrs age. The watch also comes with its original servicing or sales watch paper inside the caseback, bearing the name of Watchmaker W.G.Tucker from Hundleton, Pembroke. Read it yourself… some history definitely adds some extra meaning to this timepiece.
Limit watch company first came into being as the ‘Hirst Brothers’ company, founded in 1884 by Alfred Hirst, on Union Street, Oldham, Great Britain. The firm aimed to produce quality timepieces, optical goods of all kinds, and jewellery. In 1912, Hirst first introduced the Limit trademark to a line of watches, heralding the start of a new era in the watchmaking industry.
Limit has always sought for good quality, and have always taken good care of their workers – forming a well-loved staff cricket team in 1919 to ensure that workers had access to exercise and daylight hours. In 2016 Limit rebranded, and continue to sell high-quality watches to this day, while still upholding their hardworking and caring values.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly. There is a 12-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines.
- Original, circular case with flat sides and rounded edges.
- Gold filled (20 micron gold leaf layer pressed into the case base metal) – guaranteed to last you 20 years.
- Case has middle layer with mirrored side, reflecting the movement.
- Gold filled onion shaped crown.
- Width w/o crown 50.5 mm.
- Width w/ crown 64 mm.
- Height 71 mm.
- Thickness 14.8 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original, rare white-tone hot enamel dial.
- Incredibly detailed, hand-painted Masonic symbols around dial at the fixed numeric points.
- Minute indications around outer edge 5 – 60.
- Small seconds display.
- ‘Leaf’ style blued hands.
- Small seconds hand with tail.
- Swiss-made movement made for English market.
- Manual 19″ pocket watch caliber.
- “Limit” signature.
- 15 jewels.
- Sleeve type setting.
- Plates and bridges with Geneva wave.
- Mirror-polished wheels and screws.
- Testing duration: 2 weeks face up.
- Average timekeeping range: 20-40 sec/day.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced with disassembly in our Bristol shop.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- 12-month warranty.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.
Links and Resources: