Rare ‘Professional’ 153T model in a solid, steel shock-resistant and moisture-resistant case. The case is heavy, thick-walled, and quite large for its time of production (35 mm versus the typical 32 mm). This watch can be found in certain old catalogues (see the scan). According to the Longines serial number catalogue, this particular timepiece was produced in 1942.
The ‘Professional’ model served as a prototype of the modern ‘Heritage 1940’ line, which is successfully produced by the company and is still available in branded boutiques. You can buy a new branded replica model, or you can get the original prototype at half the price.
The watch fits very comfortably on the wrist, is an excellent size, the hands have great readability, with conveniently sized crown. The case is large and solid, with polishing and precision-grinding – it looks perfect. With respect and care the mechanical parts will last for another 100 years. This watch could become the one and only accessory for all occasions, and a worthy item to wear and pass on to later generation.
In the 1940’s, the Longines company actively collaborated with both UK and US allies, as well as with the Wehrmacht, supplying watches to all warring parties. Many watches can be found in the military style with radium phosphor, but these watches look completely different – more modern and uniform in appearance. During the war years, many interesting experimental solutions were introduced, such as moisture-proof cases, engineering markings of dials, etc. These distinctive early models are highly valued among connoisseurs of the LONGINES brand history, see example 1 (33 mm), example 2 (34 mm).
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly in our Bristol workshop. There is a 6-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines. The watch includes a new, classically styled, high-quality wrist strap with firmware.
Body: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (9/10 near perfect)
Watch face: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (9/10 near perfect)
Mechanism: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (10/10 like new)
Accuracy: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (9/10 near perfect)
Case and Strap
- Original, circular case.
- Solid stainless steel.
- Slightly convex mineral crystal.
- Stainless steel screw caseback with moisture-proof seal (the gasket is original).
- Large, original crown with seal.
- Longines brand name stamped on inside case cover.
- New, genuine leather snakeskin style strap with firmware.
- Width w/o crown 35 mm.
- Width w/ crown 37.5 mm.
- Height w/ lugs 44 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original, beige/yellowed dial with fine hour marker grid lines around outer edge.
- Black Arabic numerals in military font style.
- “Longines” signature.
- Thin, blued ‘leaf’ style hands
- Central seconds hand.
- Swiss-made movement.
- 68N Longines caliber.
- 17 jewels.
- Manual winding.
- ‘Pare-Schock’ shock-proofing device.
- Power reserve approx. 40 hours.
- Highest level of quality finishing.
- Plates and bridges with Geneva wave.
- Precision-ground steel wheels.
- Polished screws.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced with disassembly in our Bristol shop.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- Comes with new, genuine leather snakeskin style strap with firmware.
- 6-month guarantee.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.