Vintage 1970’s NAPPEY French diver. This timepiece is in brilliant condition, virtually new old stock with no real visible wear, and just minimal traces from storing/handling. Surprisingly, the dial is the true highlight of this watch, although perceived as true black, when catching the light you can see the dark-cobalt-blue dial base tone – a real treat! The piece is nicely offset by the bright neon orange strap, lending a modern touch to this otherwise authentically vintage watch. It also comes in smaller than your average French diver, at a size of 32×37 mm on a standard 18mm strap, making it a comfortable fit for daily wear, while still acting as a very attractive accessory.
Nappey was founded in 1946 in Besançon, France by Jules Nappey. The company was successful at first, even sponsoring the Tour de France between 1958 and 1960. The company was a founding member of Heuroplan, along with famous Swiss names like Movado and Juvenia.
In 1960 at the Salon de Besançon, Nappey exhibited their new Jumelles Times (“Twin Time”) watch, containing two movements packed side-by-side in one case, and was marketed as a useful aid for jet-setting travellers. It was also possibly the first double movement watch created. Unfortunately, in the years after this exhibit Nappey fell on hard times, and were out of business completely by the 1970’s.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly. There is a 12-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines. The watch comes with a high-quality neon orange nylon strap.
Case and Strap
- Original, tonneau style case with black rotating plastic bezel.
- Chrome plated case body.
- Acrylic crystal.
- Stainless steel screw caseback.
- 3 ATM waterproof.
- New bright neon nylon strap.
- Width w/o crown 32 mm.
- Width w/ crown 34 mm.
- Full height 37 mm.
- Thickness 13 mm.
- Strap width 18 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original deep blue dial.
- Original light green lume Arabic numerals.
- “Nappey” signature below numeral 12 position.
- Date window over 3 position.
- Small seconds subdial over numeral 6 position.
- Silver-tone arrow style hands with original cream lume.
- Silver-tone small seconds hand.
- French-made movement.
- FE 233-66 caliber.
- 17 jewels.
- Manual wind.
- Date wheel.
- Incabloc shockproof.
- Waffle pattern finishing of plates and bridges.
- Mirror polished wheels and screws.
- Testing duration: 2 cyclic test.
- Average timekeeping range: 11-30 sec/day.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- New neon nylon strap.
- 12-month guarantee.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.