According to the Helvetia brand history, the logo seen on this timepiece is from after 1965, and quite a rare logo variant. The pocket watch features thick gold plating with the hallmark ‘PLAQUE G 20’, 20 microns is equal to 20 years of wear guarantee. The plating is original and in great condition, the watch looks like gold with only natural traces of its 50-year age – bright, shiny, and unpolished. Another interesting feature is the enamel dial of genuine hot enamel (please see photo of dial back), this technology was very expensive in the 1970’s compared to the more commonly used metal dials. The case houses a high quality Unitas Swiss movement, which runs more than 40 hours from just one winding, has great accuracy, while the shockproof device makes it perfect for practical daily use.
This timepiece would make a great gift with its opening front cover, as an original Swiss Made it would make a perfect family heirloom, and there is also lots of plain space for engraving your own personal message.
About The Helvetia Brand
The Helvetia brand was moved to the new company ‘Société d’Horlogerie La Générale’, or ‘The General Watch Co’, following its formation on the 5th August 1895 in La Chaux de-Fonds as a joint venture between Louis Paul Brandt and Edouard Boillat (and initially also Louis Courvoisier, although he resigned in 1897). The Helvetia watch brand is quite famous – every serious vintage watch collector probably has at least one Helvetia watch – they were one of the key suppliers for high quality military watches during WW2 and were connected with the Omega factory. The General Watch Co, including the Helvetia brand, supplied pocket watches to the British and the German armies, wristwatches to the German and US armies, and even specialist wrist timers to the Royal Navy. Despite difficulties in the 1980’s, Helvetia still survives to this day – just on a much smaller scale compared to its former glory – and while it is a shame that Montres Helvetia Société d’Horlogerie La Générale did not survive through to today, at least one of the old Swiss firms continues and keeps the name alive.
Servicing and Guarantee
This timepiece has been serviced with full disassembly. There is a 12-month guarantee, subject to the usage and care guidelines.
- Original, circular hunter-style case.
- Gold-plated 20 micron case body.
- Mineral crystal.
- Gold-plated 20 micron flip-down snap caseback with gold-plated 20 micron dust cover.
- Vintage ‘onion’ shaped winding crown with button for opening case front.
- Width w/o crown 50 mm.
- Width w/ crown 62.1 mm.
- Full height 67.7 mm.
- Thickness 13.2 mm.
Dial and Hands
- Original white enamel dial.
- Thick, black Roman numerals.
- Signed “HELVETIA” with trident emblem below numeral 12 position.
- “Swiss Made” at bottom of dial on either side of numeral 6.
- Steel spade style hands.
- Swiss-made movement.
- Unitas 6431/6445 caliber, shockproof version.
- 17 jewels.
- Manual wind.
- Power reserve 40 hours.
- Signed “SWISS MADE”.
- “HELVETIA” signature with three stars on main wheel.
- Rose gold satin brushed plates and bridges.
- Satin brushed wheels.
- Mirror polished screws.
- Testing duration: 1 week face up.
- Average timekeeping range: 10-15 sec/day.
Servicing and Guarantee
- Fully serviced.
- Mechanics in full working order.
- 12-month guarantee.
- Guarantee Terms and Conditions.